[wxqc] Troubleshooting a Davis VP2 Rain Gauge

Dave Keasey davidkeasey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 18:58:14 CST 2016

My VP2 has suddenly stopped reporting rainfall.  We had a brief
gully-washer, and when I checked the console (and online data, too) it
was a big fat goose-egg, when it should have shown 1/2 inch or more.

I've checked the rain gauge, and the collection funnel is clear, and the
tipping bucket tips when water is poured in the funnel.  Other sensors
(Temp, Humidity, Wind-speed, and Wind-direction), and they are reporting
to the console just fine.  The gauge was working 3 days ago.

The only thing I've done (and this should not affect just the rain
reporting) was to change the console batteries this morning after seeing
the low-battery indication).

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?  The sensor suite is only
one year old, so should be still operating properly.

Thanks and regards
Dave Keasey
EW6414
Mill City, Oregon