[wxqc] Comparing stations

Victor Engel brillig at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 22:13:19 CDT 2011

Hmmm. I get 5 miles for the closest and 85 for the farthest. Maybe I'm
not looking at the same thing. If I were in your position, I wouldn't
look at those stations as a guide for what my values should be but to
follow trends when systems blow through.

It's more useful to compare to something, even if it's far away than
nothing. And if you don't have any accessible stations close by,
that's your only option.

I do see at this link:
http://madis.noaa.gov/sfc_display/?center_lat=55.3207&center_lon=-131.6010&scale=108
that there are a number of stations close by that MADIS may be using.

I'm guessing also that the software was designed to be useful over the
whole US if not the continent or the world and not specifically for
your area, which has unique weather characteristics. Take the bulk of
Texas for example. Elevation really doesn't change that much. The
weather consequently is more consistent over wider areas than in your
neck of the woods.

There's a contact link in the page I cited that you might contact with
your questions.

Victor