[wxqc] Rain Sensor With No Moving Parts

Thomas Hybiske t_biskit at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 25 09:53:50 CDT 2011

Hi Rich,
Peet Brothers has made a hobby grade "count the drops" unit for at least ten years.  I had one when I used Peet products, and I preferred it to the tipping bucket style units (which I now use).  The major problem with the Peet unit was birds had tendancy to sit on the edge of the unit and when it rained the water washed the droppings down into the guts of the unit where it fouled the fine mesh grids that did the counting.  Perhaps this professional unit actually counts the drops as they pass an "eye" of some sort, eliminating the problem found in the Peet unit.

Tom Hybiske, K3GM (AR824)