[wxqc] Rain gauge cal

Ted Lum gladstonefamily45.net at tedlum.com
Tue Oct 11 22:32:28 CDT 2011

But in all seriousness, some things don't carry over. In the calibration
lab its important to account for all of those little items, whether it
be the accuracy, tolerance, resolution, uncertainty, etc. Becasue in the
calibration lab you need a standard that is many times more accurate,
sensitive, resolute, etc. in order to measure that 5% accuracy of the
sensor under test. That's how you know its +/- 5% and not +/- 6% or +/-2%.

So, when you are talking calibrations and standards measurements, yea,
all those little fractions are important. In the field is a completely
different situation, you don't expect the same specs. as you had in the
lab. But too often people change context not taking that into account.

The most glaring this here, though, is that we all - myself most
centrally included - have been running around calling the Davis gauge an
8" literally for years. Leave it to someone to actually measure the damn
thing... what a concept. Not sure where 8" got stuck in my head, but it
did, and I've been real wrong for years. That in and of itself renders
the whole argument moot, because that's a pretty big error before you
even get started.

But, regardless of the specifics the point that I have been trying to
get across is this. Think of a VHS tape... remember those? Every time
you made a copy of a copy you would loose 1/3 or the resolution. Same
idea with references and standards. Every time you use a standard to
judge another instrument expect to loose something... You can't use a 5%
instrument to judge the accuracy of another instrument to withing 5%.
And for each generation you lose more and more. But this is for
calibrations and standards,  it does not carry over into other contexts.

On 10/11/2011 6:20 PM, Paul Grace wrote:

> Thanks-  It's humorous to see people attempting to compensate for 0.1%
> errors due to the variable density of rain, against the basic 5%
> accuracy of the sensor.

believed to be clean.