[wxqc] Assistance Request

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Fri Dec 26 18:30:40 CST 2008

Hi all,

    For the past week or 10 days, I've been trying to "chase the graphs"
which I know is not what is the QC analysis is for, or for it to be used
as a guide.  Some time back, I began noticing my alt readings were
getting out of line, and initially, I thought it was due to some other
stations not reporting on a regular basis, as well as a few being really
whacked out of line with the spatial analysis.  I've tried to adjust my
alt reading to match KDNL, which is a few miles from my location, but
our elevations are very close.  At first, I was reading about 1mb low
compared to the analysis, so I tweaked the console about 1mb up,
thinking that should put me very close to KDNL's readings.  After seeing
my std deviation and mean errors continue to climb, I started bringing
it back down.  I thought I had things more or less in sync with DNL, but
alas, over the last few days, I've seen changes to the contrary.  Can
some of you who have access to the spatial analysis comparisons give me
a hint as to who or what station(s) are messing with the analysis?  I'm
getting very frustrated because I don't seem to be able to discern which
one(s) are causing the problems.  After 2+ years of rock solid
observations, then to have obs that appear to change with every cycle,
I've been tempted to just drop the whole bucket of rocks and just use
the data I collect for my own uses.  I've not eliminated hardware
problems, but after such a drastic change in reliability after several
years of use, it just does not sound right that hardware would cause the
problems.

    Hint:  Gerry, if you have access to Patti's spatial comparisons, can
you peek at who I'm compared with for the past several days, and Patti,
if you have the time, likewise, or any of you who can help determine
what is going on?

TIA

Sam