[wxqc] Mercury Barometer

Jim Crumly jimwc at frontiernet.net
Wed Dec 17 11:56:20 CST 2008

Paul
Yes I believe that mercury is toxic. but it also depends on the amount of
exposure, And if handled properly It is as safe as any other substance.
Because of ignorance of the toxicity a lot of us handled mercury unsafely
with no ill effects to ourselves or anyone else.
Mercury Barometers were what barometric pressure were founded on. so even if
they are not as accurate as the "hi-tech" solutions.
They are easily calibrated by straight forward methods.
Have you checked how much it costs to calibrate any interment to "standard"
lately. they do go out of calibration and must be "certified" or replaced
periodically. Sometimes it is cheaper to replace rather than calibrate. I
know that to replace my console which houses the (non Mercury) barometer
costs almost $200.00.

The Mercury Barometer is one of the roots of meteorology, and if we
understand the risk of such interments and treat them as such they could be
a good quality check, if you don't have a certified weather station in close
proximity. Also they are a nice looking weather instrument to hang on the
wall to show your interest in the weather.

Jim
CW4367