[wxqc] wxqc Digest, Vol 50, Issue 12

A.J deLange ajdel at cox.net
Tue Dec 16 09:46:52 CST 2008

RE:

On Dec 15, 2008, at 13:00, wxqc-request at lists.gladstonefamily.net wrote:

> You might try unitednuclear.com

That's not a bad suggestion but unfortunately, as you may know, those
folks were the victims of a dawn raid by the USG because they were
selling sulfur (which you can buy in any hardware store), magnesium
powder etc. They are still in business and determined as ever but they
don't sell barometers. They do still have mercury available (at
hideous prices though). When you think  how much basic science is tied
up in a simple barometer and ponder the consequences of denying future
generations access to this excellent teaching tool because of the
ignorance of bureaucrats you shouldn't be surprised that the US now
ranks 18th or 19th with respect to the scientific capabilities of our
young people. Will we continue to lead the world in technology into
the future?

BTW, I'm not seeking a barometer for myself. Fortunately I bought one
before Princo was driven out of the business. Yes, I can compare what
my station reports relative to the nearby airports, other stations and
the QC data but the only instrument I really, really trust is that
mercury barometer. It doesn't lead me astray if a chip or the network
fails or if someone has reversed digits in a constant in some piece of
firmware.